Events at Circus
Circus is a program for finding new pathways for developing cross-cutting research collaborations, to stimulate innovative research by facilitating new patterns of collaboration.
We arrange events that are all distinctly multi-, inter-, or trans-disciplinary with a focus on developing collaborations within the Disciplinary Domain of Humanities and Social Sciences at Uppsala University. We also provide support to research teams to organise and conduct workshops and conferences.
”The emotional circus” - A Seminar Series
Our popular seminar Series continues.
What shape do emotions take in different contexts and what influences what we can feel? Emotions are fascinating and elusive phenomena. Emotions have also emerged as a topic for research in a number of areas within the humanities and social sciences. The aim with the seminar series is to gather researchers within Uppsala University interested in studying emotions. We simply want to learn to know one another and to generate a collective overview of how emotions is researched in different areas. We want furthermore to explore the possibility to develop further collaborations on the topic. Seminar 8: Molecules and Emotions
Human, culture and health - humanistic and social science challenges in diabetes research
Seminar 8 June
At Uppsala University, an interdisciplinary Diabetes Center is now taking shape. During the seminar an overview of the plans for the center was presenterd.
Circus’ annual “Interdisciplinary Garden Party
4 of June 2020
In June we had our annual “Interdisciplinary Garden Party” . The Event is open for researchers and others at Uppsala University who are involved in, or curious about, cross-cutting research collaborations. This year we had a virituell gardenparty.
Emotions in the Virtual World of the Pandemic
7 May 2020
The Iconography of Emotions
24 February 2020
Symposium: Why Interdisciplinarity? - Promises, Problems, Practices
- Claes-Fredrik Helgesson, Professor and Research Director at Circus
- Erin Leahey, Professor and Director, School of Sociology, University of Arizona (
- Sven Widmalm, Professor, Department of History of Science and Ideas, Uppsala University
- Uskali Mäki, Professor of Practical Philosophy and Director of Centre for Philosophy of Social Science, University of Helsinki
- Mikael Börjesson, Professor, Department of Education, Uppsala University
- Johan Wejryd, Researcher at Department of Government, Uppsala University
- Veronica Strang, Professor in Cultural Anthropology and Executive Director at Institute of Advanced Study, Durham University
- Michael Dunn, Professor of General Linguistics, Department of Linguistics and Philology, Uppsala University
- Celia Lury, Professor, Centre for Interdisciplinary Methodologies, University of Warwick
Workshop för nätverket "Bostad som rättighet"
Den 17 september anordnade nätverket sin första workshop
Forskningsnätverket ”Bostaden som rättighet” etablerades under våren 2019. Tillkomsten av nätverket hänger samman med ett behov av nydanande forskning kring bostadsfrågan och är tänkt att sammanföra tidigare åtskilda forskningsmiljöer och discipliner för att ge nya perspektiv på området. Nätverket finansieras under två år av CIRCUS.
Workshop on Borders Studies
This small workshop aims to bring together scholars of humanities and social sciences at Uppsala University whose works intersects on critical border studies as a theoretical tool to conceptualize the current border practices.
The workshop is funded by CIRCUS in order to develop our work at Critical Border Studies.