Call for applications to support research networks
Call to support research networks for 2024-2025
The Centre for Integrated Research on Culture and Society, Circus, will award two years of support to a maximum of four research networks.
What is the purpose of the support?
This support is aimed to facilitate the establishment and development of cross-cutting research networks at Uppsala University. The main purpose of the support is to create good conditions for developing innovative, high-quality research by creating new patterns of collaboration within the university. The support is offered for two years.
Who can apply?
The support is primarily aimed at developing collaboration between the departments and faculties within the Disciplinary Domain of Humanities and Social Sciences. Research networks are also welcome to include researchers from the two other disciplinary domains at Uppsala University.
A research network must have a clear multi-, inter-, or trans-disciplinary profile. That means that the network already at the time of application should involve researchers working in different disciplines and preferably from two or more different faculties within the Disciplinary Domain of Humanities and Social Sciences at Uppsala University. The main applicant must hold a doctorate and be an active researcher within the Disciplinary Domain of Humanities and Social Sciences at Uppsala University. A majority of the researchers taking part should likewise be active within this disciplinary domain. Research networks that, in addition to this, also involve researchers working in the other disciplinary domains at Uppsala University are welcome to apply. Research networks that have already received support from Circus and have progressed positively can be granted support for a second two-year period.
Form and conditions of the support
Granted support is both financial and administrative support from Circus, as well as access to capacity building. The financial support is up to SEK 200,000 per year for two years (including overhead at the host department). The network can, for instance, use this support to cover costs for salaries, seminars and workshops as well as inviting guest lecturers. Funds may not be used for scholarships, teaching or courses at graduate level. The administrative support from Circus is focused on the development of the network. It relates to such things as help with organising seminar series, workshops and conferences, as well as support with communication. Capacity building support is provided through bespoke workshops for network representatives, feedback and mentoring for developing the network, and events focused on knowledge exchange across research networks supported by CIRCUS.
Conditions for the support:
- The research network must clearly state that the activities are carried out with support from Circus. For open events, Uppsala University's event calendar must be used and Circus should be listed as co-organiser.
- The research network should be open to welcome additional researchers from Uppsala University to join the collaboration. Seminar programs and other outreach activities should therefore be clearly advertised through relevant channels.
- The research network shall provide descriptions of the network and its activities to Circus to ensure that descriptions of the research network are up to date on websites and the like.
- Representatives from the research network should participate in activities aimed at sharing experiences and facilitate learning across different supported research networks.
- The research network shall in contacts with Circus inform about how the network develops, including information about significant outputs such as publications and research applications.
- The research network shall inform Circus of significant changes in the focus and composition of the research network.
- A brief scientific and financial final report must be submitted to Circus no later than three months after the end of the grant.
What should be included in an application?
The application can be written in Swedish or English and must include:
- The name of the network and participating researchers
- A description of the scientific importance and potential of the network.
- A research overview and the purpose of the network with a focus on what the collaboration within the network can achieve.
- Planned activities and how these can contribute to creating good conditions for fruitful scientific exchanges among the researchers active in different disciplines.
- How the planned activities relate to existing activities and research resources, and how they, in turn, can contribute to the development of the network.
- Abstracts for a non-specialised audience in Swedish and English of max 200 words each. CIRCUS will publish these on our website if the application is awarded the support.
- Budget (including OH).
- A signature of the head of department of the host department to signify that the department is willing to manage the financial part of the support.
The application should have a range of 4-6 pages (12 pt, Times New Roman), including references. The application should in addition include short CVs for participants (max. 2 pages per person). All parts of the application should be combined into a single PDF.
The deadline for application is September 29, 2023. Submission is done via a special form found here: https://doit.medfarm.uu.se/bin/kurt3/kurt/93892
How are the applications assessed?
Three criteria guide the assessment of the applications:
- The scientific quality of the application and the potential for cross-cutting collaboration to stimulate high-quality research.
- The composition of the research network so that it can be expected to work in a cross-disciplinary manner. Networks that relevantly engage researchers from a variety of disciplines within the Disciplinary Domain of Humanities and Social Sciences at Uppsala University shall be encouraged, as well as those who have an even gender distribution and include researchers with varying seniority.
- The organisation and structure of activities of the research network. Networks that have a collaboration-oriented distribution of roles among participating researchers and a plan of activities and structures that support a deepening of the collaboration shall be rewarded.
Circus aim to make the collective set of research networks supported to reflect the width of research present within the Disciplinary Domain of Humanities and Social Sciences at Uppsala University, as well as that the set of research networks represents a variety of multi-, inter-, and trans-disciplinary collaborations.
The board of CIRCUS decides on support after assessment by external reviewers and the director of CIRCUS. For more information on the assessment and decision procedure, please see “Riktlinjer för utlysning, beredning och beslut på CIRCUS” (only available in Swedish).
Information and time plan
Further information is provided by Claes-Fredrik Helgesson, director at CIRCUS, tel. 018-471 38 87, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org and Ingrid Berg, project coordinator at CIRCUS, tel. 018-471 27 38, e-mail: email@example.com.
Call for 2024 is closed.